Holiday Cake Ball Tree
2 boxes white cake mix (plus ingredients for cake mix)
1 (16 oz.) container buttercream frosting
4 (16 oz.) packages Vanilla CANDIQUIK® Coating
Styrofoam block (to set cake pops in while drying)
Styrofoam cone (9" or 18")
Optional: Assorted food colorings (oil or powder based only)
1. Prepare and bake cake mixes as directed on box; cool completely.
2. Crumble both cakes into a large bowl. Add frosting and mix thoroughly.
3. Roll mixture into 1″ sized balls. Chill for approximately 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
4. Melt CANDIQUIK® Coating in Melt & Make™ Microwaveable Tray according to directions on package.
5. Insert a lollipop stick into each cake ball. Dip cake pops in CANDIQUIK®; allow excess coating to drip off. Place in Styrofoam block to set.
6. Decorate cake pops as desired with candy coating and/or icing and sprinkles.
7. Once completely dry, carefully remove the cake ball from the lollipop stick. Insert a toothpick in the Styrofoam cone and press the cake ball on the end of the toothpick. Repeat until entire cone is filled with cake balls. (By dipping the cake balls on a lollipop stick, this ensures the cake ball is perfectly round and will sit flush against the cone.)
*Note: Depending on the size of your Styrofoam cone, the number of cake balls required will vary. 2 cakes worth fills approximately one 9-inch cone.
*For a step-by-step tutorial of this tree, please visit the Miss Candiquik blog.
• If cake balls become too soft or do not hold their shape while being dipped, return to the refrigerator for an additional 20-30 minutes.
• Position Styrofoam cone on a cake tier or plate prior to adding cake balls.
• When attaching cake balls to the cone, work from the base of the tree and build up towards the top.