Homemade Twix Bars
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 cups caramel candies
3 tablespoons half and half
2 (16 oz.) packages Chocolate CandiQuik
1. FOR THE SHORTBREAD: Preheat your oven to 300°F. Spray a 9″ x 13″ pan lightly with cooking spray (or line with parchment) and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour. Mix until well combined.
3. Take the dough (it will be thick) and press evenly into the bottom of the pan.
4. Prick the crust all over with a fork. The holes allow the steam to escape and the crust will bake evenly with fewer bubbles.
5. Bake the crust until the edges are golden brown, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately run a knife around the edges to loosen the crust. Set aside to cool completely.
6. FOR THE CARAMEL LAYER: Melt the caramel and cream over low heat in a small saucepan – this takes about 10 minutes. Spread the caramel evenly over the cooled crust and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill and firm up.
7. FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER: After the caramel layer has chilled, cut down the length of the pan, splitting the bars into two long, narrow bars (see notes below). Then cut the bar horizontally, creating 24 bars. Melt chocolate CANDIQUIK® in Melt and Make Microwaveable Tray™ according to package directions; using two utensils, dip the chilled bars into melted chocolate and place on wax paper to set.
Note: For smaller bars, cut shorter/smaller bars; cutting the bars into three long narrow bars, then cut horizontally.
*OR this recipe can also be made into bars, in which you will only need 1 package of chocolate CANDIQUIK® Coating. For simple bars (follow recipe directions beginning after step #6): Melt 1 package of chocolate CANDIQUIK® according to package directions. Spread evenly over the chilled caramel layer. Return to the fridge until the chocolate coating is completely set. Cut into small squares to serve.
*Twix is a registered trademark of Mars, Inc.