Truffula Tree Cake Pops
1 box cake mix (plus ingredients for cake mix)
½ cup frosting (canned or homemade is fine)
2 (16 oz) packages Vanilla CANDIQUIK® Coating
Styrofoam block (to set cake pops in while drying - may be found at any craft store)
Colored sugar crystal sprinkles
Food coloring (oil or powder based only)
1. Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on box. Allow to cool slightly, at least 30 minutes.
2. Crumble trimmed* cake into a large bowl. Add frosting and mix thoroughly with hands (*see notes below).
3. Chill mixture approximately 2 hours in the refrigerator.
4. Measure cake mixture and roll into 1” sized balls. Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. You may need to place the cake balls back in the fridge for 20-30 minutes, allowing them to firm up.
5. Insert a lollipop stick into each cake ball. You can dip the lollipop stick in a small amount of coating before inserting into the cake ball if you have had issues with it falling off the stick. *Tip: remove a few cake pops at a time to dip, storing the others in the fridge until ready.
6. Melt CANDIQUIK® Coating in Melt & Make™ Microwaveable Tray according to package direction.
7. Split melted coating into several mugs. Add oil or powder based food coloring; stir until blended.
8. Dip cake pops in melted CANDIQUIK® Coating; allow excess coating to drip off (hold at a ~30 degree angle allowing the coating to drip off the bottom and not drip on the stick) by tapping the stick and place in the Styrofoam block to set.
9. Sprinkle each cake pop with matching sugar crystal sprinkles.
For smooth cake balls, trim off the edges and bottom of the cake. Mix crumbled cake thoroughly with frosting. For best results, use your hands to thoroughly combine the cake and frosting together.